Friday, March 28, 2008

My poor little seedlings





I've got some seedlings growing on the fire escape in containers, some good some bad. The lettuce got set out this week so the littler ones are left behind here.

Here you see the chard which will be transplanted next, as well as one laggard broccoli.

I like using the little netted peat pots for tomatoes (which have been germinating irregularly and are still warm inside) because the germinated plants can be moved to sun while the un-germinated wait to sprout. Later note, I've broken a few plants from the peat pots tipping over. The peat 8 packs can also be separated, and reused if you're careful.

I thought I was being clever with the plastic egg cartons- container, drip tray, and cover in one! The problem is that once the seedlings sprout, the cover is much too low. I raided the community recycling bin and found some awesome garbage like the giant salad container, used upside down over the plants.

The chard has been out on the fire escape for the last week getting extra sunlight. Hopefully they won't be leggy forever.

PS- Home Depot has transplants now. (even tomato!) It's too early, and they'll get killed in tomorrow night's freeze. I got 1 cabbage and 1 collard greens and will set out Sunday.

No comments: